Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Not an end-of-year report!

But really just an excuse to brag.

Sometimes I read other people's blogs with children of Jade's age, and worry a little in case she is not doing as well in some areas. For instance, she's still not really into addition yet, though we've tried a little; she can't swim, even with arm-bands, and her drawing still seems rather simple (head with legs!), but what she *can* do is read, boy she can really read! Today she has worked out 'congratulations' and 'granddaughter' without any help whatsoever, and I notice she is starting to read quietly to herself without asking for help or support, but just for interest. This afternoon she was sitting reading the Usborne Flip Flap Body book.

And really, that is one big reason why we HE. So that she can take each 'subject' at her own speed. The 'one-size-fits-all' National Curriculum hangs over us looming so large, especially as we are going to be flexi-schooling from September and therefore do have to stick to the NC (though what that means I don't actually know!); but we know that each child develops in fits and starts at their own pace, and I just love to see that happening in reality. I know that she will be able to add up soon enough, and that all the other skills she needs in life will develop too, at the pace that is just right for *her*.

I suppose the worry comes in about whether I am doing HE 'right' - am I offering enough, exposing her to enough, involved enough, or am I doing too much of the Lazy Bugger method of HE? I'm very good at buying resources and not so good at using them. I think a bit of orgo-planning and pulling my socks up a little in September would be no bad thing, but really, when it comes down to it, to have fostered a love of reading means I've pretty well done all I have to do! Light the blue touch paper and stand back!

4 comments:

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

That's fabulous. To have a happy reader is so good. My K took to reading from a young age and has learnt so much from books - she often teaches me things! There was an article in the paper this weekend about how schools are spending their budgets on white boards and computers when they really should concentrate on stocking their library shelves with interesting reading material. Certainly made me think! We use the internet a lot for our HE stuff, but there's nothing like snuggling up together on the sofa to read or look through a reference book and chat about what we're seeing. Elle at EFT

Unknown said...

Fantastic! :-)

We're slightly the other way really with very little reading but heaps of everything else and what I love about HE is the fact you can be relaxed and not worried and just enjoy watching them love what they are good at and can do.

Well done Jade! :-)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. It's too easy sometimes to get fixated on what they "should" do doing isn't it.....

HelenHaricot said...

lovely post.
i also like the in their own time and way of HE.
SB maths orientated but not reading.
i eidh she was, as i think it then makes a lot of things easier/more fun, but she's getting there.
lovely pic katy!