I probably have a large amount to blog about, having left it so long, but of course can't remember much of it. Let's work backwards from today and see how much comes back to me.
Thursday mornings are a working time for me, and Jade comes with me while Shannon goes to playschool. This morning, however, after dropping Shannon off, Jade and I went off to look at Stow Horse Fair - of course Jade insists on going to anything with the word 'horse' in the title! It's a controversial event locally, with most of the shops and businesses in Stow being closed for at least the day due to the amount of crime and trouble that comes along with it, but it was certainly a culturally educational event for Jade to witness. She was quite shaken to see how some of the horses and ponies were treated, and we were glad to see the RSPCA there keeping an eye on things. We were only there for 45 minutes or so and then she was glad to leave and go to the office with me. She helped me by doing some paper shredding and vacuuming, while I phoned and e-mailed people.
At lunchtime she had her RDA riding lesson. They're not rushing through the learning-to-ride process as befits most of their clients, but in fact Jade's anxious tendencies means this suits her very well too. She has however very much got the hang of rising to the trot now, and she has a naturally good position in the saddle so she is coming along very nicely. She's not in a rush - she says when she is 10 she will ride up the long driveway and back on her own without anyone leading her! (I suspect it will be a lot sooner than that!)
We got home to find a parcel containing her long riding boots I'd got from Ebay - shame they hadn't got here before we went out! My Dad arrived, and really enjoyed it when Jade showed him her Letts 'Grumpy Grammar' workbook, and she then enthusiastically launched into the next section on Nouns and did very well, needing no particular help from Grandpa other than his attention. Meanwhile Shannon and I worked on her Wizard Whimstaff Maths for age 3-4 which she has just about finished. Mostly just because she wants to do something like Jade rather than me thinking it's anything close to necessary at this stage! After Grandpa left we all went round to the library, with Jade choosing loads of books she's had before. She doesn't mind, and seeing as she pretty much only wants to read about ponies or unicorns or Horrid Henry, she has a limited choice! Occasionally she will venture off into Magic Kitten or Animal Ark territory. I picked up my ordered copy of 'Affluenza' by Oliver James which has mixed reviews but is a fascinating topic.
Now we're in the middle of the dinner-pyjamas-stories-bed routine. Tomorrow we have no plans so we shall see what the day brings.
Last night Jade made her Brownie promise, along with 6 other girls as this is a new Brownie pack with only 9 girls altogether. I stood with her while all the girls spoke their Promise out loud - she moved her lips but made no sound! But she was so proud of herself afterwards and has said a few times since "Wasn't I brilliant last night?" and I am so pleased that she is feeling so good about herself for a change! The girls also all took their Hostess badge at the same time, by having made the invitations for the promise ceremony, making a table decoration each (Jade's is lovely and entirely to her own design) and then handing round tea and cakes to everyone afterwards. She did really well with that too :-) She is so loving Brownies, and is making steps each time to becoming more independent from me, although she's not ready yet for me to just leave her there. I spoke to another mum last night and am going to invite her daughter, one of the friendliest, chattiest Brownies, to come here probably some time next week during half-term, as the better she gets to know each girl, the more relaxed she will be at the meetings themselves.
I've just done a major Amazon order incorporating several HE resources I've been promising myself for months if not years. At last we will get Draw Write Now, First Language Lessons for the Well-trained mind, a LeapFrog Explorer Globe and several maths stories. Now all I need is some time and just a modicum of discipline and organisation to use them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sounds like Jade's reading interest areas are much the same as F's - ponies, unicorns, occasional Magic Kitten - we have Tracy Beaker instead of Horrid Henry but otherwise much the same.
Riding sounds good - definitely going to sort lessons for F - have been putting it off but I know she wants to and it will help with all sorts of things (balance, etc.).
Great that she did so well with the Promise and glad she feels good about that.
aww bless her , horses and brownies, takes me back.
fab to hear about Jade's confidence at brownies, hope you can help her build on it!
nice to see such a positive update from you! and hurray for all the positive self image stuff going on there.
Post a Comment