It makes a change to feel like I've actually got anything to blog, but today I have so I will try and make it the beginning of a new era! Get Back To Blogging!
Shannon was at playschool this morning, so Jade and I sat down in peace and quiet to get on with just a little of the more formal stuff, i.e. maths. She's dipping her toe into the waters of multiplication, and as with all things maths-related it has to be taken very slowly and gently otherwise she will take fright and refuse to do it at all. I think we made some progress - we spent about 20 minutes on it and she remained happy all the way through so that was a good result! Then I read a chapter from "Penrose the Mathematical Cat" about Pancake Land (thought that was topical, even though a day early) on the difference between two and three dimensions.
Then we got on with another piece of work towards her Brownies 'Friend to Animals' badge. She's already done a piece about her favourite animal (the horse, of course!) and how it should be kept and looked after. She's done a study of 4 different extinct animals, what they were, where from, why they became extinct and how we could avoid something similar happening in future. The piece she worked on today was about animal patterns and colours and why animals need camouflage. She needs to do a piece of art using some of the animal patterns she wrote about. With all of these pieces either Bill or I have helped her by suggesting how she needs to go about it and roughly how to structure it and then she's used her own words to dictate to us. We have typed it up verbatim and shown her how to insert pictures into Word. We've obviously covered lots about Googling, saving pictures to the computer, layout and the like as well. The final piece she needs to do is about the local vet's surgery, where it is, when it is open, why your pet might need to visit the vet and what you would do if you found a sick or stray animal. I don't suppose we'll get both that and the art done tomorrow, so one of them might be left for Bill to help her with on Wednesday, which is when it all has to be taken to hand in at Brownies.
After that it was time to go and pick up Shannon from playschool, and then we came home for a quick lunch before setting off for the Redwings horse sanctuary/rescue centre at Oxhill. We tend to go there about every 3 months, so it's a familiar place to us and very welcome to me because it's free! Except for the usual agonising and traumas in the gift shop at the end when Jade desperately tries to find something she can buy with her £1 pocket money. She still hasn't fully absorbed the reality that if you keep spending your £1, you don't get to save up so that you can buy the nicer things for £5+! She begs and begs me to give her some extra money towards what she wants, but I refuse because a) otherwise she would always expect it everywhere we go and we would be bankrupt and b) she would never learn to live within her means. She thinks I am just mean, of course!
We only spent about an hour at Redwings because it was cold and I wanted to travel to near Banbury to look at a car. Our old Subaru is in some ways on its last legs (the engine's fine but everything else is wearing out) and besides I've always disliked it. And now Bill's pinched the Prius off me and I have to drive the Subaru, I'm determined to change it. And the Subaru is too thirsty for our budget so we need something cheaper to run. Anyway, I really would rather like a Renault Scenic 4x4 diesel which seems to cover all our needs, and I had seen one advertised at this garage so went to take a look. It was very nice, but overpriced in my opinion and he wasn't prepared to come down as far as we want him to, so I don't think that is 'the one' which is a shame because it is a nice car.
There are masses of things I could blog about to catch up over the past couple of months, but I can't decide which to include and which to leave out except the very most recent which was that I was supposed to run in my first 10k race yesterday but didn't. I've had a slight niggle in my left hip when I've run the longer distances which I'm being very wary about because I don't want it to turn into a full-blown injury, and then the two weeks of snow and ice stopped me going out for the duration, so effectively I have not done anywhere near as much training as I should have. So there. I will do a 10k at some point, but only when I'm fit enough!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
great blog!
Post a Comment