do I waver so easily whenever presented with somebody else's point of view? Had a lovely visit to a friend of mine this morning, who has 2 children age 5 and 8 (plus one on the way) who are both at school and are happy, friendly, delightful children. She of course asked the usual question, "Is Tamsin going to school in September?" so we got onto the home-education discussion. We had a respectful and friendly discussion, but her comments and her point of view did make me feel uncertain, again, about why I'm heading down the HE route. It all sounds so straightforward to do it the 'normal' way, and her kids certainly aren't suffering from it. I couldn't think of any points to make that were irrefutable about HE being better. Maybe I just need to memorise a few more facts and figures so I can quote them at people, but I do hate the way it's so easy for someone to make me waver on any subject on which I thought I had made up my mind!
I could say more about this but it's getting late and I need my sleep!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
But this is a huge decision, and it's natural to feel a bit wavery about it. Home education is something not normal in this country.
But Tamsin, if I'm right about her age, won't be 5 in September, so you can say that she isn't going yet, and then when she's 5 you can mention countries in Europe where it's normal for children not to start til 6 or 7. Around the world, there are rather more children *not* starting formal education at 3 or 4 than there are, iyswim.
Breaking it into bite sized chunks is definitely what we are doing here.
I agree! Home Ed is one of a number of choices you can make wrt your children's education, in the same way birth choices are individual to your family, this and plenty of other choices are.
I do know what you mean, it is an area where you feel you are swimming against the tide more than any other, but if you and Bill know it's right for you, Tamsin, and Isabelle, then you can be sure about your choice, and not worry about other's choices, iyswim.
So it's not about school being bad, or HE being better [although I'd argue the toss on those if I had to!], but rather about a lifestyle choice that you as a family have made. And one that you can change if you decide to!
While this is not necessarily a helpful comment mid discussion, but I find it empowering to keep the phrase "bacause I can" in my mind when asked why we do it, followed up withsomething about HE is this country having equal recognition under law, and also that the responsiblity for education always lies with the parents - you've just decided not to delagte yours. I would never ask anyone why they send their kids to school, so while I accept that sometimes people are genuinely interested, and I'm happy to discuss it, I refuse now, after 4 years, to enter into any justification. It does get easier. Or my skin got thicker ;-) Not sure which.
Post a Comment