I've got a sad, poorly baby :-( We made an emergency dash to the doctors this morning, after a really bad night full of crying and Calpol and a morning when she ended up just screaming for ages, but it's just a cold with blocked-up and painful ears. I'm probably not alone in this, but when my babies are ill I'm always afraid they're going to die... so it's rather stressful! Still, at least I didn't get as far as calling an ambulance for what turned out to be a cold, as I did with Tamsin! It all nearly messed up the day's plans to meet my Mum near Abingdon to hand over the dog to look after while we're away at the church weekend and then Hesfes. But we made it in the end.
On the way back, we called in on Bill at work (Oxford Brookes University), leading to moments of delight and then pure farce. The delight was when I looked round the library on the campus, which is the teacher-training department. WOW! Thousands of videos of educational programmes, CD-Roms, cassettes, and fiction and non-fiction children's books - all of which Bill can borrow on his staff ticket. Perfect for the home-educator! I felt like a kid in a sweet-shop! Couldn't stay long, due to a crying Isabelle (again) and a hyperactively running about Tamsin, but did borrow a phonics video and a Learning French CD-ROM, and I will definitely plan to go back and spend more time there soon!
Then I was bursting for the loo, and Isabelle was crying, so I took her and Tamsin off so I could feed Isabelle on the toilet. She had a really nice long feed, so there I was on the toilet, clothing round my ankles, when suddenly she throws up all her milk, right inside my knickers and trousers. Great. Just then the automatic light times out and goes off. So now I'm in the dark, with vomit all down my legs, underwear and trousers, and can't see properly to wipe up, and Isabelle is screaming and snotty again. But it's a quiet day at the college, there are hardly any students about, and nobody has been into the loo while I've been there. So I risk it, and open the cubicle door and shuffle out, knickers and trousers still round my ankles. Now I need to put Isabelle down somewhere so I can wipe up the sick. There isn't enough room to lie her down near the washbasins, so I decide to sit her bottom down in one of the cute little sinks, which hasn't been used for a while so it is nice and dry. As I lower her bottom gently into the sink, the water comes on and drenches her in cold water. They didn't tell me the taps were automatically activated by an infra-red sensor (even in the dark).
We staggered soggily and hysterically back to Bill's office, I threw the baby at him and collapsed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh Joanna, if that wasn't such a desperately awful chain of events, I'd almost be laughing. I would definitely have collapsed in a big heap at the time though, what a nightmare!
Hope you can almost see the funny side of it by now. And I hope Isabelle is better, too.
Teacher training library sounds ace, though!
Hey, it's ok, I was laughing! I've never felt more like Mr Bean in my life!
I think that tops most Mr Bean efforts tbh ;)
That was a classic mishap with a baby tale - it had it all, toilets, vomit, nakedness, darkness and a good soaking ;-) Thanks for sharing Joanna, and well done on keeping your humour about it!
I'm really sorry but..
ROFL
ROFL
and more ROFL!!!
you have cheered up my day.
how awful for you though - but at least students didn't walk in!
(giggle) That is a fantastic story!
Just trying to catch up on the blogs and came across this entry...you've got me giggling like crazy!!
Post a Comment