Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Seemed like a good idea at the time

I know what I forgot to blog about, and if I don't, I expect Merry will tell everyone anyway! I suppose it's too funny a story (in retrospect) to keep to myself.

Well, I don't ever remember having earache before, but in the middle of the Kessingland week, my ear started to feel very odd and sore. Not really bad, but of course I wondered if it might get worse and I may end up in agony at some point. I couldn't decide whether to go straight to the doctor or not, but decided a 'wait and see' policy would have to do. So there I was, in the middle of a Suffolk field, in a caravan, with all my normal resources (local chemist, doctor, acupuncturist friend, homeopath) a long way away. And then I had a brilliant idea! I had a perfect, anti-bacterial liquid immediately to hand, or perhaps I should say, immediately at boob. It is recommended to apply breastmilk when a baby has a little eye infection (sticky eye), and it really does clear it up. So, breastmilk in the ear seemed like a perfect solution (pun intended!). So I expressed a little into a cup and put a few drops in my ear. I did that one evening, and the following morning, but by the next day things were worse. The ear was quite sore, I couldn't lie on that side, and it had got totally blocked up and I couldn't hear anything with that ear. So I phoned the local doctor's surgery and got an appointment to see the nurse.

I told her all about my symptoms, and then she peered into my ear with her clever ear-inspection thingy (otoscope?). "Oh, you've got a horrible fungal infection in there," she said. "It's all white and damp." Then I remembered. And told her about my attempts at self-medication. She did a perfectly professional job at keeping a straight face, although was clearly nonplussed by this apparently normal-looking stupid weirdo! "I've never heard of it (breastmilk) being anti-bacterial and working against sticky eye," she said. "I'll have to ask my microbiologist friend about that! But even so, the ear is enclosed and warm and probably not a good environment for putting anything into ......" I had to admit she had a point! And felt rather stupid .....

Several conventional antibiotic eardrops later and things are much improved. So remember, potential earth-mothers out there, breastmilk does not cure everything!

10 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

oh, I'm sorry to laugh Joanna, but I am doing.... giggles off quietly into the kitchen...

HelenHaricot said...

well, worth a try I guess [giggle]

Anonymous said...

well, worth a try I guess [giggle]

Rossi said...

Nutter!

It does work for sticky eye as I did it with Pea :-)

Sarah said...

Giggling here too - all's well that ends well, at least!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I'm laughing too! I'm glad you're feeling better now..

Joyce said...

I'm glad you explained HOW you got it in. Initially, I had a sort of picture of you with breast in ear. And then i remembered that not everone has VAST ones ;-)

Unknown said...

i am laughing but only in partial self recognition because until i read the doctors reaction i was sat here going 'ooh good thinking Joanna, how very resourceful!' :-D

Joanna said...

Joyce, after telling Merry and her commenting that she could probably manage the direct application route, I thought I'd better be specific!

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify....I don't think Jo would have a problem if she wanted to stick a tit in each ear. In fact I'm surprised she hadn't already thought of it during one of our bratpack screaming contests.
(That's the kids, not the adults. We just glower).