When I think about it, on a day when I feel I've just chased my tail and done nothing much at all, quite a lot has happened.
At breakfast time, Tamsin asked to look at the "Adventures in Literacy" file which a friend had bought for her birthday in June. So we covered the 'ea' 'ee' 'a-e' and 'i-e' sounds, and she successfully read many of the words. She's written many of the gift tags of the presents we've wrapped today. At tea-time she was playing with her number balance, on which she hangs numbers on each side of a balance to try and get them equal. TBH, she hasn't really had a clue what she's been doing - she just likes messing around with it, so in an attempt to make it clearer, I used the mini-pegs with which we've been hanging up the Christmas cards, and did several problems of the "If I have four pegs, and you have two, how many more than you have I got?" type. To help make it clear, I paired up hers opposite mine, so she could see how many extra were unpaired. I think it's taken her a step or two further on in understanding addition and subtraction which till now she hasn't got anywhere with.
So that's been a decent-sized reading lesson, maths lesson and writing practice, all casually dropped into a day of much chaos and frustration. Isn't that just the joy of home-ed?! I feel like I've been chasing my tail - trying desperately to tidy up so that I can concentrate on Christmas decs but not getting anywhere. Every time I turn round there's more mess, not less. Tamsin demands so much attention and input from me, and Isabelle only wants to hang onto my legs all day, that it's intensely difficult to get anything much done. One of those days when it took about 2 hours just to get us all dressed and breakfasted.
Still, I've got 2 loads washed and dried. Went out and bought more Christmas decorations. (Hmm, I see I'm doing my usual trick of buying more supplies for crafts and activities and then never actually getting round to using them!) Tidied Tamsin's bedroom. Set up a Brio track while Isabelle was napping. Got some Christmas lights up in our front window. Isabelle did a little painting (including all over her face and hands). Ooh, and the thing that really felt like an achievement today (because it was on my To Do list!) was to plan the Christmas food, make a shopping list, and arrange with my Mum who was doing what.
Inbetween, Tamsin has pretended to be a chameleon, an elephant and done a wonderful Christmas dance which I videoed! And Isabelle has climbed the stairs again, and spent more time perfecting the trick she discovered yesterday of bending upside down and peering through her legs - she loves viewing the world from this new perspective! This week has not been the fun-filled dec-fest that I wanted it to be, but maybe if I get off this computer and into the living room to tidy up, I might make a little more progress tomorrow!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment