Saturday, September 30, 2006

Hey, it's good to be back home again

(With thanks to John Denver for the title).

Back from our week away. The Travelodge in Taunton was good, and was especially nice as it was on a retail park with a bowling alley, so after having seen it on the telly recently and saying she wanted to go bowling, Jade got her wish. We all had a really good evening there, and Jade and Shannon (not yet age 2!) had a great time bowling. I came last - am particularly useless at that sort of thing but it was fun anyway. The next morning we moved on to St Austell. I must be careful what I write about our accommodation as I would not want to get done for libel. But hey, we only paid £54 for all of us for the 5 days. Certainly very glad we didn't pay any more.

Still, they had their own little beach (down a long steep hill) which we went straight to when we arrived as our accommodation was not ready. That was a lovely afternoon. It was warm, sunny and Jade in particular had the most fantastic time jumping and splashing in the waves. There were rockpools and sand and that lovely seaside-y smell and we all loved it.

On Tuesday I took the girls swimming in the morning while DH languished in bed feeling a bit unwell. After lunch we went to Mevagissey, specifically for the World of Model Railways which was really good, and a stroll along the harbour wall eating real Cornish pasties followed by Cornish ice-cream - yum!

Wednesday is best left largely unmentioned, as it consisted mostly of a lot of bad-temper on my part, yelling at DH, going out with the girls at 4pm for a walk and getting caught in torrential rain, followed by the only treat I could think of which was a biggish shop at Asda, which we don't have round here.

On Thursday we went to the Eden Project, which was really the main point of the entire holiday. I'm glad we managed to offset the large entry fee by taking along both an adult's and a child's guide-book which I had got from charity shops in advance! And I'd packed an entire picnic, so we only had to spend money on large coffees for DH and I during the morning otherwise we would both have been sleep-walking due mostly to Shannon's nightly shenanigans!!! Having to get out of bed each time she woke, instead of just rolling over in a sleepy haze, brought it home to me just exactly how much of my sleep she disturbs. *Must* find a strategy to night-wean her without it involving loads of 'crying till she's sick' episodes. Anyway I digress. Jade particularly loved the 'jungle' bit as she loves trees, so she says! She enjoyed filling in some stuff in the children's guide-book so got loads of writing practice as well as all the science.

Today, Friday, was disappointing as I had hoped we would travel a couple of hours, stop in Devon for some sort of half-day touristy thing, and then carry on home, but it just poured with rain the whole way, and Shannon and I fell asleep in the car, so we just came straight home, though the total journey did take 6.5 hours instead of 4-ish due to horrendous traffic.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Glad you had a nice time. That place-that-shall-be-nameless LOOKS nice. Three of us got into the EP for £9 last month - all you have to do is declare yourself HE- they even have a button on the till for it - and everyone in the party was £3. Plus by gift-aiding the entry fee, we got free entry for a year. It's fabulous, isn't it, we've been every year since it opened, and it's been amazing seeing it develop

Joanna said...

B***er! We paid about £33!!!

Joyce said...

That's a shame, I thought I'd told *everyone* about it's fabulous HE policies over the years. They are so cool about it, they never look blank, or say they need to check, or anything, they just press the code button on the till. We were surprised they let us have the HE rate in August this year, as we usually go in June, so I asked tentatively and the woman said (gasp), "no, it's OK, we have the philosophy that education happens all the time" LOL. I nearly passed out.

Joanna said...

You probably did tell me, but my brain just does not retain anything at the moment!