Sunday, June 29, 2008

I had a 'sanity Saturday' yesterday - took off on my own in the afternoon and spent a blissful 4 hours without anyone yelling "Look, Mum!" or "Mum, she hit me!" or "Mum, I'm hungry" every 2 minutes. I desperately needed it and felt much better by the time I got home. I must plan them more regularly rather than waiting till I get to breaking point.

So off I went to shop in Cheltenham. The main aim was to get some proper running shoes. So I can run faster to get away from the kids. No, not really! I am planning on taking part in the Little Hearts Matter sponsored run in October, which can be 5K, 10K or 15K. I'm aiming for the 5K! So in due course I shall be badgering you lot to sponsor me for loadsa money, but first I've got to get training. Which I did today - took the dog out and managed seven sets of run 1 min, walk 2 mins. Well the schedule did suggest run 1 min, walk 1 min but there was no way I was up to that! It's not going to be so easy to get out during the week unless it's after 9pm but we'll just have to see how it goes.

In the process of buying the shoes, I had a video analysis of my running gait. I never knew that I was a severe pronator! As I walk or run, my arches kind of collapse, my ankles drop in and down and generally it's all a bit of a mess. So I had to buy highly expensive, highly supportive shoes and this probably explains why I've got constant foot and leg ache and why I get so tired by the end of the day. But custom-made orthotics for ordinary shoes cost £200+ so that won't be happening in a hurry.

While shopping I also visited many of Cheltenham's charity shops and was very pleased to find a brand new, unused "Around the World" Dorling Kindersley game for 50p, a book about Robots as Jade was very interested in them when we visited the Cheltenham Science Festival a couple of weeks ago (don't think I ever blogged that) and a little book about hair braiding. A Dora activity pack for Shannon, new underwear for all the females of the family and 4 new pillows (bargain £7.50 reduced from £25) completed my shopping spree.

Today we've been to the local riding stables Open Day. The girls have been very excited about this for days as pony rides were on offer and Shannon had her very first go. She was bumped about all over the place but said she liked it and had another go. Jade had 3 rides, one on the pony she usually rides there each week and one each on the other two, including a 16-17hh horse which I thought was very brave for her!

Jade riding Sonic


Shannon riding Sonic


Jade on Bracken


Shannon on Miniman, the pony Jade rides each week, and he is 30!

1 comment:

Jan said...

Your shopping trip sounds very therapeutic.
Jasper was offered a ride on the pony M had just been out on last week, but wouldn't go anywhere near her, despite saying regularly he wants to learn to ride as soon as he's 4 (when you can start lessons)