Sunday, July 13, 2008

The week

Last weekend the girls and I went down to Hampshire to visit my Mum. Pleasant enough - we haven't stayed there for absolutely ages so it was a change. Nothing of note happened except that suddenly on the Sunday Shannon made one of those leaps and started saying 'yellow' instead of 'lellow' - I was a bit sad really!

We came home on Monday afternoon with just enough time to get the stuff out of the car and have a snack before taking Shannon to her babysitter and Jade to a farm visit with Rainbows. That was really lovely, particularly because they had a mare and foal which Jade was very excited about.

I had planned to actually get some proper education done with Jade on Tuesday morning while Shannon was at playschool, but my Dad rang and said he had found something wonderful for Jade in a charity shop and please could they bring it over. So instead we did a quick tidy-up and then my Dad and Pat arrived with a fabulous horse barn/stables/horses/jumps kit - all really good quality (Schleich) and bought for about £7!! So then of course there was no chance of her doing anything else other than play with it all for the rest of the day.

Late afternoon on Tuesday, while I was on the phone, Jade came rushing up to me and insisted on speaking to me. "I want to go to school!" she said. Huh? She didn't know what had brought this feeling on. She said she hadn't been talking to L from next door or anyone else about it. She just suddenly wanted to go!! She did use the phrase "I want to be normal and go to school and come back and play with L." Like a starving person unable to think about anything except food, I was very happy at the thought of being able to have time to myself!! I didn't really believe she would persist in wanting to go though. It was too sudden, out of character and not well thought through. After discussing it in the evening, she said she would play pretend schools on Wednesday and see how it went! In fact, she put her old school uniform on (much too small now, of course!) and went to bed in it.

On Wednesday I was at work. Bill reported managing a bit of maths with Jade discussing fractions.

On Thursday morning DH had a half-day off work because I had to be at Stow-on-the-Wold Farmer's Market for 8.30am to set up a Fair Shares stall (recruiting more members). He was supposed to get Shannon to playschool, but was unable to make her get dressed so she didn't go. He rang the wrong person to tell her not to collect Shannon from playschool, so consequently the childminder did have a wasted journey, and I had to take Shannon with us when I took Jade to riding. Ahem. I am making no comment.

In the afternoon, she asked me to play schools with her. As her teacher, I instructed her to write a poem, but instead she chose to write a story. It was so lovely I just have to blog it, but I can't find it at the moment so that will follow sometime.

Later on, during a conversation with L from next door, she suddenly realised that if she went back to her old school, she would be in Year 3 in September and therefore would go upstairs to a different classroom (Years R, 1 and 2 are in one room; Years 3-6 are in another). Cue absolutely floods of tears and much wailing about how she wants to go to her old classroom with her old friends. She was completely distraught for ages and ages. I assumed this would mean the end of her wanting to go to school Put her to bed early.

On Friday we went to visit another HE family to help the older 2 (ages 14 and 16) with a science experiment. They were testing for Vit C levels in fruit. Having done this some extraordinarily long time ago during my degree (okay it was only 10-12 years ago but it seems like forever) they asked me in for some expert assistance. It was a good job I did go because they would never have managed on their own. There were some very difficult (for youngsters) preliminary steps to go through to make up the standard solutions required, and they had no idea how to go about accurately using a pipette. I don't know exactly who the kit was aimed at, but I thought it was not well designed or adequately explained for people without significant science background.

We had lunch there and then rushed back for our hair cuts at home at 3.30pm. To my surprise, another discussion with Jade had her saying she still wants to go to school, even if she does have to go to another classroom. I have said that I will phone the school on Monday morning and see if they have a place and if we can go for a visit. I suggested she should go for a half-day on her own to see how she got on, but she said she wants me to stay! (Doesn't bode well, does it, bearing in mind she does know them all already.) And given more time to reflect on what this might mean, and with her seeming to be serious about it (though I still very much have my doubts once she is there) I really don't want her to go to school. Yes, I am very much in need of some time to myself at home, but that doesn't mean I want her out of the house 5 days a week for 6 hours at a time. I do wish there was more flexibility in the system, so that she could go to a 'learning resource centre' with trained 'facilitators' for a couple of days a week and spend the rest of the time at home. That's what I really want!

On Saturday morning I finally managed to clear enough time and space round myself to finalise our Tax Credit Annual Return, hurrah!!!! This morning we've been to church and the girls have played all afternoon, and tomorrow is Jade's final Rainbows which will be a party. She's going to Brownies in September and L from next door is going too. I am hoping that before too long she'll feel brave enough to just stay with L and not have me stay with her for the entire session too!

5 comments:

Jan said...

We always feel sad when J learns the proper way to say words, and we all persist in having Sweeklebix for breakfast and calling him a faller boy (he used to have trouble with sm-) just to make him say them for longer.

Hope you and Jade can sort out the school dilemma to your mutual satisfaction.

Sarah said...

Yes, I hope you can sort it out too. Y3 is a lot of work, but you never know, she might just be ready for it where she wasn't before.

I completely agree about the learning resource centres though, they're just the sort of thing I would set up if I ruled the world.

p.s. your dad must have won a lot of Brownie points for finding that set in the charity shop!

Michelle said...

I think just blinking from Wednesday to Friday would be sensible. Let's do that.

Your dad sounds lovely!

Re school. "she asked me to play schools with her. As her teacher, I instructed her to write a poem, but instead she chose to write a story." Hmm. That doesn't sound good either!

There are learning resource centres where you can go for 1, 2 or however many days a week you would like. But they also fall under the auspices of private schooling and cost ££££££. :-(

Joanna said...

Yes, my Dad is lovely :-)

I didn't know there were such things (not in rural Gloucestershire!) but we def. couldn't afford it anyway. guess I'll have to stick with the childminder.

Anonymous said...

our school is used as a learning resource centre effectively by several families, but yes, it costs.