Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy

It's been a nice day today. Went out fairly early (i.e. 10am!) this morning to visit someone we've met at HE group who has 2 girls aged 4 and 6. We had a nice time there and Tamsin got on well with her girls, and T and I chatted about all sorts of things including jobs, laziness and disorganisation in HE, homes, lack of money, and the trouble with older boisterous boys at the group, so that was good. She'll come here to visit in a week or two, and we hope to arrange a get-together with another woman and her 5-year old girl too so hopefully there are some nice links and friendships being set up there.

However, I was again concerned to note that Tamsin literally would not speak a word while this other adult was in the room, even to me. She would only whisper to me. When the girls all went outside in the garden she was talking and laughing with them, but not in front of another adult. I came home and made an appointment to talk to the doctor, about selective mutism. If it really is a serious anxiety problem like it appears to be, then she's going to need some help. I would appreciate comments from anyone else who's BTDT, like Joyce, as I am feeling a bit wary about calling in 'the professionals' who may sit in judgement on our lives in some way, or is that just me being paranoid? I could be tempted to cancel the appt, but I just don't know.

However, in other better news, yesterday while I was browsing round WH Smith I noticed their sets of magnetic words, one set being the target words that children should be able to recognise by the end of their Reception year, and three sets totalling the words they should recognise by the end of Year 2. Tamsin wasn't with me, but I know from the reading she is doing that she could easily recognise all of them. I know comparing isn't really the name of the game, but it does make me feel good anyway! Of course, if she was 'behind' in something I would be strongly challenging the necessity of any such ridiculous goals anyway!

The purpose of my sole shopping trip (what luxury!!!) was to try and spend my remaining Christmas presents - £20 M&S vouchers and a £10 Smiths voucher. I thought I'd treat myself to some new underwear, but after trying on 10 or more bras and not being able to get a decent fit in any of them I gave up, went to Smiths and bought a display book for my Usborne stuff and some plastic storage boxes for the kids' toys. Not a great shopping success, then. I didn't know whether to consider the afternoon had been lovely for just simply being on my own and browsing without interruption, or miserable for achieving nothing much. Still, I guess it means I'll have to go again sometime!!

Most of all, though, I've just been loving the sunshine of the past couple of days. At last!!

1 comment:

Evans family said...

the sunshine is (was) great, really lifts the spirits, however is never last long does it? it is pooring down here, has done all morning so far. :-((