Jade's reading is so good I couldn't resist trying to find out what her reading age is. I found a test here, and carried it out this evening. At the age of 5 years and 4 months, she has a reading age of 8 years and 9 months!!!
On Tuesday, it briefly passed through my mind to get her to practise a bit more handwriting, but we were too busy with other stuff. In the early evening, however, she spontaneously collected some of the symbols off her calendar and wrote out the words. Autonomy rules!

7 comments:
Cool! (I must do that test too, just to see how many more years I can leave Joe to his own devices wrt reading!)
I do think those tests are rather arbitrary, as I suspect Jade, like Joe, wouldn't actually manage to read material aimed at 8 - 9 year olds by herself (or would she?). I struggle to find things that Josiah will enjoy reading that actually stretch his reading level, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anything, actually, I'm just going to have to wait for his emotional maturity to catch up with his reading age!
Still, it's a fantastic thing to boast about anyway!
Boast away! It's lovely to read :-)
That's fantastic Jo and her handwriting is lovely too. The 'snowing' is beautifully joined up :-)
No, she wouldn't read 8-9 year old stuff, mostly because of the density of the writing which still scares her a bit, I think! She definitely likes a big font and lots of white space. And lots of pictures.
Yes, Joe's the same.
In fact reading picture books designed for adults to read to children is something he enjoys more than anything else - we're working on picking up expression in voices etc., realising what difference punctuation makes to the way you read things, and all that sort of stuff. Which, to be honest, is much easier to do with a child who's past the stage of still needing to decode the actual words. At school they try to make all the children look at punctuation, speech marks etc., and some of them can barely sound out c-a-t, poor things, it takes all the fun out of reading for them :(
p.s. have *finally* managed to change your blog's name on my link list - sorry it's taken me so long to do!
Thanks for link to the reading test, I'll try it out on B. Like Sarah, I find it hard to find books that B's interested in reading, but I've noticed lately that when he does read, magazine articles, leaflets etc., he's does really well. The test kind of reminds me of my early school days, sitting with the teacher and reading lines and lines of different words - I'd always get stuck on "biscuit"! Elle
i think thats great. She was a fab reader when I last saw her
Post a Comment