Not that I've ever had a 'word-of-the-day' before, but anyway, today's is 'pejorative'. I heard it on Radio 4 this morning, as I have done before, and somehow managed to remember to look it up. It means "depreciatory, disparaging". So I shall attempt to use that sometime in the next day or so!
It's been a fairly laid-back day today. We got up not too early, the girls watched a little CBeebies while I had breakfast, and then I was attempting to browse through recipe books to make a new spring/summer monthly menu plan. As always when I sit down with a book, Shannon came over and tried to take over, turning the pages and looking through the book. It's great that she loves books, but I wish she didn't mostly love the one I'm trying to look at! Then Jade joined in too, and in the end, the two of them arguing over turning a page made it tear, and I threw a bit of a wobbly, snatched all the books away from them and stomped upstairs alone to go and get dressed in peace. Amazingly neither of them followed me!
Once I'd recovered a little equilibrium, I came back down, just in time for my friendly Fair Shares gardener to come along for a little more jungle-taming. I mostly left him to it this time, while I got a nappy wash on the go, and other sundry chores. The girls were playing nicely with some toys by then and did a little drawing and painting.
I eventually persuaded Jade to sit with me while I read her a little more Story of the World, still on Ancient Egypt. We also had a look through a couple of other books on the same subject that we have out of the library. She then sat down at the table with a book open at the page on hieroglyphics. I got her to write her name in hieroglyphics and then to translate the word that was shown in the book. She did both beautifully! I'll try and post a pic later.
Then it was time to make her lunch and get her ready for her afternoon at school. She was quite happy about going this time, and let me leave without any fuss or clinging at all. I went in to work to do a few bits and pieces, taking Shannon with me, and then we came back home. We played some lovely games together, having a lot of fun!
Went to fetch Jade from school, took all the plastic bottles to the recycling bank on the way home, and since getting home L from next door has come round as usual and they've all had a lovely time splashing in the paddling pool and similar rowdy games! As I type they are putting make-up on each other!
Later this week we hope to do more Egyptian stuff, like dressing Jade up as an Egyptian princess and maybe a craft or two.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment