A year ago today, the 16-year old son of a family we know took his own life. Tom was a remarkable boy - the last kid in the world who you would expect to do such a thing. He always reminded me of Bambi - long legs and great big brown eyes, and a beautiful smile. And he was always smiling - he seemed (to me, knowing the family reasonably well but not very closely) to be nothing like those stereotypical moody teenagers. He was pleasant, thoughtful, kind and a pleasure to spend time with. But the most amazing thing about him was his sensitive and observant spirit, expressed in the most beautiful, mature and insightful writing you would expect from anybody, let alone a young boy. I had the privilege of reading some of his prose and poems, and was always touched and impressed by them. In the end, maybe that sensitive spirit was his undoing. I don't know. I know that, with a history of depression myself, I have feared knowing too much about the thoughts and feelings that led him to such a drastic step, although if I had asked his parents, I think they may have shared that information with me. I have in the past wrestled with such feelings and don't want to go there again.
But the other thing I know is that Tom knew Jesus, and he is now in an incredible place, with all his turmoil and pain long forgotten, and the eternal glory and joy of his Father God filling him. We will see him again, just like we will see our own son Benjamin, and all will be well.
Till then, Tom, I miss you, I remember you with love, and I am praying for your parents Alan and Jackie, and your brother James. God bless....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
(((Joanna)))
Post a Comment