Following on from Jade's expressed interest in the cello at Melrose, Bill has borrowed one from work for a few days so she can have a go. She's just fiddling about with it on her own, but is loving it and still says she wants one. I've found a few online videos showing basic technique so will show her those later, when L from next door has gone home. I've also confirmed I can hire one from Gloucestershire Music for £26 per term, so that'll be useful! I've identified a teacher in Stratford-on-Avon who is playing at a wedding fayre nearby next Saturday, so we'll go and have a peek at her.
Meanwhile Shannon is feverish with a bad cold, so is touchy and weepy (even more than usual!) so she didn't come out with us on our "Keep the Cotswolds Clean" Spring Litter Pick this morning. Jade and I went (well I had to - I was organising it!), and about 7 others turned up to help, so we made a useful difference to the amount of rubbish lying around. It gives me a warm virtuous feeling!
Yesterday started off somewhat dodgily. Thought I'd get the dreaded maths over with first thing, so started playing a game with Jade using the '100 square' book we've got. The game involved me choosing a number, and then we took in turns to use a number from the top line (i.e. 0-9), adding and if necessary subtracting, to try and reach the target number I'd chosen. At the end of the first (demonstration) try, when I got to the target number I said "I won that one" and gave myself a tick on the sheet of paper. Cue Jade throwing a strop, throwing away her pencil and refusing to do any more. OK, so she hasn't learned to be a good loser yet! Actually, I got furious with her, and said she wasn't leaving the table until she was prepared to have another go. I (outwardly) calmly went and got my book
(which is utterly fab, BTW, if you've never read it). I sat and read and asked every now and then (calmly!) if she was prepared to have another go yet. She got down under the table, went and hid in the under-stairs cupboard next to the table, and all sorts but I just went and got her and sat her back in her chair and said again she wasn't leaving till she'd had another go. I was seriously doubting whether it was wise to make it into such a big battle of wills, but I am so fed up with these strops over minor little things (me saying I'd won, this time) and I just didn't want her to get away with not doing what she was supposed to be doing again. In the end, she started drawing hearts on a piece of paper and gave it to me. This gave me the idea to write her a note, so I wrote "Dear Jade, I hate it when you give up and won't even try. I love you." I passed it to her. She came and climbed on my knee, and I cuddled her and then asked her if she was prepared to have another go yet. She said yes. We had another go, and she got it right first time :-) We then did some simple sums with M&Ms for 5 minutes and she got to eat one every time she got it right. She did adding and subtracting (numbers less than 10) and we also touched on multiplying and dividing. I then with great relief left maths alone on a relative high note!
We then moved over to the sofa for a bit of reading together. I read "Where Babies come from" with her. We've gone over most of that stuff before, but she has never asked the critical question of how seed meets egg. She's not in any doubt now - a very clear picture told it all, but she didn't bat an eyelid except at the kissing!! Then we moved on to "Mary on Horseback", part of the Sonlight package, which we finished off.
Next I put on an episode of Time Team which I'd downloaded onto my laptop from the Ch4 website, which was nearly about to expire. It was set not far from here so I'd particularly wanted to see it. After about 10 minutes viewing the archaeological dig, the girls wanted to go out and dig up 'pottery' from the (as yet empty) vegetable patch. That lasted about 5 minutes until Jade had another strop because Shannon started digging in the hole that Jade had dug, so we came back in and we finished watching Time Team.
I can't remember what happened next - I think maybe it was lunchtime!
Sometime in the afternoon we did some minor "science with air" out of the little Usborne book of the same name, took the dog for a short walk, prevented WW3 breaking out several times over use of the computer/recorder/keyboard/voice-activated dog/anything else you care to mention and eventually I refused to do anything other than sit on the sofa and finish my book. Shannon came for 'hungry' (b/f) and fell asleep at about 4pm. I woke her up about 4.45pm, and then put "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (BBC version) on for them to watch while I made dinner.
After dinner it was bath, hairwashes & nit-combing (just to check - they've been spotted at Shannon's playschool) but we are clear, and then a very chaotic period where Shannon in particular was way too energetic to want to go to bed and I was too tired to enforce anything, so I lolled about and let them muck around. Eventually I did stories and bed for Shannon, but unlike me she hadn't fallen asleep by the time DH got home around 9pm. So I went to bed, Jade followed me and fell asleep with me while DH got Shannon to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
ooh, cello thing sounds good!
I would check the local paper and also contact any local teachers to see if any of their pupils have 1/4 or 1/2 size instruments for sale (I expect she would need a 1/4?), because you never know you might pick up a bargain for less than the hire fee. We got Anna's 3/4 size 2nd hand on ebay actually and although it was a bit of a gamble to do it that way we are all really pleased with it. Then again our alternative was hire for £25 pcm so yours is a bit cheaper. I was always so worried about something happening to a hired instrument, hence we have always bought them even if it means a bit of upfront outlay.
Anyway, hope it works out well with the teacher.
I enjoyed the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I dread playing games with the kids as I still hate to lose--though I do know how to cover it up! H & K have both shown minor hints at bad 'sportsmanship' that I try to be so careful not to emphasis the end results for fear of creating some of the scences from my childhood when the whole gameboard would go flying!
What a lovely blog post :-)
Hope the cello works out!
also hoping cello works out, its such a lovely instrument. also sounded like a very productive day all round.
Post a Comment