Tuesday, June 17, 2008

HE rant

I feel a bit useless at saying that 3 years into HE and I still haven't settled on what I feel to be a successful and happy approach to HE for our family.

I like what I read about unschooling, but I am not totally convinced either in theory or in practice for us. Maybe I would feel better about it in practice if it was like I read somewhere recently with a quote roughly along the lines of "I started to realise how ridiculous it was to call my son away from designing his own model aeroplane to sit down and do some maths." If I saw plenty of designing, creating or discovering going on here, I might well just go along with it. Instead, what happens when left to their own devices is that Jade either pretends to be a horse or pretends to be riding/grooming/feeding one and Shannon begs to watch DVDs from dawn till dusk. I'm also not convinced about it in theory, because, rightly or wrongly and as someone who had a relatively academic education, I really want my daughters to be able to use grammar and the English language properly, with correct punctuation and spelling, and I want them to learn how to discuss and express their ideas and arguments fully and cogently, and I want them to be able to recognise good science from bad, I'd like them to have the basics of one or two foreign languages and the basics of maths, and how do I know whether, left to themselves, they would take these up to the level that I think they 'should'? It's disheartening when I read other blogs and find that other children her age are doing amazing art work, happily attending language groups, making their own patterns to sew their own clothes and being fascinated by electronics kits. With Jade, the only thing she is fascinated by is horses/ponies, and although I know there are plenty of educational opportunities in there, she WON'T do any of them. She will not make up pony stories, she will not write a pony project, she doesn't want to do anything that would feel to me as though she is doing something productive. She just wants to play at riding ponies and read pony stories and that is it.

With Jade in particular, giving her structured work is a dangerous venture, which has to be approached with the lightest of touches, otherwise sparking off major confrontations and leading to grumpiness and misery for us all. She is significantly resistant to being 'taught' anything, even stuff that she has actually asked to learn. I think perhaps she is incredibly insecure about feeling that she might get things wrong, so only wants to do things which she already feels she can do, and is scared of trying anything new. Her difficult behaviour seems to be part of the selective mutism syndrome, having compared notes with other parents, but she is particularly challenging to parent and I feel quite at sea with her at the moment.

It would be great if I was imaginative and energetic enough to come up with interesting activities and hands-on investigations that were fun and educational, but I feel stretched in too many directions and simply refereeing all the sibling rivalry, hitting and arguing and tantrums wears me out and I have very little left to give. It used to be that a quiet evening and a (relatively) good night's sleep (i.e. one where I only get woken about 2-3 brief times by Shannon) would refresh me and set me up again for the morning, but these days I am sick to death of the arguing and bickering before I've even got out of bed.

Part of me would quite like to throw in the towel and just send Jade to school, and then I'd get that blessed much-longed-for me-time that is so missing at the moment, but I know perfectly well that she wouldn't cope, it would do her much more harm than good and we'd end up in a worse position than we are now. Plus I'd miss what I feel that HE could and should be. I still believe in HE; I just don't feel as though I'm making a very good job of it with this particular child.

9 comments:

Classroomfree said...

Oh have you been reading my mind?

I could have written that a few weeks ago (using different names of course :oP )

At the moment we seem to have found a nice balance of structure and autonomy if that makes any sort of sense. It's working for us anyway lol.

Sarah said...

Don't know what to say other than I can identify as well, there were plenty of HE days when I could have written that post. And yet, given Jade's communication issues, I don't know if I'd want her in school either, as you say. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I guess, and that simply isn't easy, is it. (((Joanna)))

p.s. she is still only 7 btw, don't be too hard on either of yourselves! At the same age Anna was utterly awful at doing anything useful (and didn't even have an interest in horses or anything like that!) yet by the time she started school at 9 somehow she had got to be quite nice and also quite capable of being up with/ahead of schooled peers - so you REALLY DON'T need to worry!

p.p.s. I'm sure you are doing the best job there is for Jade - you are her mum and you love her to bits - that is far and away the best thing you can be/do. Sod the education, that will come on its own!

Joanna said...

Thanks Sarah, that is reassuring about Anna! And thanks Jules too - maybe this is the storm before the calm!

Kirsty said...

I could have written it too. I think M and Jade have quite similar traits and I too have felt exactly the same re not doing HE well enough but not feeling school would be good either especially with his anxiety issues. I feel like we've given loads of 'methods' a go and they never work as I think they should.

Wrt being obsessed with ponies, M is the same but with cars and (much more recently) war. Loves it all but just wants to play video games on them and hardly any sort of 'learning' that I could quantify. It's frustrating.

And as Sarah says she is only 7 and although sometimes I hate it when people say it to me, I'm hoping it's true as M is 8 next month. ;o) *hugs* anyway

T-bird Anni said...

You know, considering we are actually structured, I'm not sure we do much more actual learning than you do. Our stories are read in bed mostly, and I do suspect they are a way for her to postpone bedtime and eek out that last bit of Mummy time.

Our girls are still really babies, honest! I can't remember which book it was I read that said you could not bother with any maths until the child was 10 adn they would still learn it all before the end of "school age". I'm sure the same is true for many other things.

Jan said...

I could have written quite a lot of that about C a couple of years ago. In fact if I could be bothered to trawl back through our unwieldy blog archives, I probably did. Without all the added difficulties of Jade's communication issues, of course. C's default activity is still just to pick something up and fiddle with it, usually toddler toys, or something like that. But over the past year or two, as I have become more comfortable with not even pretending to be autonomous, she has become accustomed to the routine and discipline of how we do learning, and the conflict is almost gone, and in the time previously occupied by arguing, she is learning really well.

HelenHaricot said...

we also have huge issues with bickering here - so i am hoping it is an age thing! i think that jade has a special set of circumstances that means that you are doing well getting her to communicate more and giving her unconditional love so that when she is ready she will really go for it.
her reading is excellent - i imagine it is still way beyond her age range. i am hoping that wide and varied reading at this age will give sb all the pointers needed for writing, grammar and punctuation when she is actually ready to do it.
since Sb loves reading, i have also looked for books that have information as well as story books [i think she should have all sorts!] and she has really enjoyed magic tree house and third grade detectives [both series v easy for her to read, and include settings and some information. the magic school bus books are a total hit - loads of info there! she also enjoys the downloads of same name. the DK readers are fully info rather than story based, and she has really enjoyed those too.
since jade is so very skilled at reading, i think i would have a variety of books about that are info, edutainment and pure well crafted story, and allow her to self educate through stories at the present. merry's i can read series link on her blog also good - we have a couple of these from sonlight. i think most of SB's education is story based still [apart from electronic kits!] oh, and for languages, we have enjoyed the lucy chat from book people, and i just read them, and SB and BB parrot the words at the back when we started, though both now like having a go at the words.
so, i think give yourself a bit of a break, you are fab, trying hard, and i totally sympathise with sib thing. work with what the strengths are - reading, consider some edutainment downloads for shannon to watch too and allow the playing and behaviour modelling at present. it may be that working through the communication thing is taking up most of jade's processing at present and she needs the play time to work things through?

Michelle said...

I think it's the adults who need a Muddlepuddle camp then we could knock some of these insecurities into shape.

We don't do any "learning" here and C def would resist it if I tried. Today we are going to pop into a nearish museum on the way from one place to another - just to see if there's anything of interest. The local museums are a great source of free learning opportunities, sometimes we only spend 10 minutes there, sometimes 2 hours. Italian is popping round to Deb's to play with the baby (in Italian) for half an hour. Rosetta Stone for French she does not ever want to do which is a shame as it cost so much!

C never plays (unless she has a friend here) and I wish she did.

Unknown said...

Something that worked for us recently when we hit a bad patch with all being at home rather than the educational side of HE was to decide that the children *would* be going to school in September. None of us wanted that to happen but it gave us a sensible time to turn things around to prevent it rather than regular threats that never came to anything and never improved things.
The conditions here were not for anything to happen other than being home together all the time being enjoyable. I'm not looking for structured learning to happen or even anything quantifiable educationally but a condition of our HE has always been that it is enjoyable for all of us and isn't destructive to our parent / child relationship. D and S have as much responsibility as I do to ensure that is the case IMO.
We have chatted since and as things have dramatically improved school in Sept (as expected) is not on the agenda, but giving a sensible timeframe and being utterly serious about it as a possibility worked wonders for us.