This morning, while Tamsin was at playschool, obviously my first priority was to catch up on the blogring! But I didn't get too bogged down, and also pureed a load of carrots and apples and froze them in icecube trays, prepared week 3 of Sound of the Week, got some ingredients into the breadmaker and set it going, and played with Isabelle a bit.
After collecting Tamsin and coming home via the supermarket for a few essentials, everything went a bit pear-shaped :-( Isabelle had fallen asleep in the car but woke up when we got home, even though she was still tired. After a short time at home, she started to get very whingey, and needed to go back to sleep. The following hour got very stressful, because her normal methods of going to sleep for a nap either by feeding or being rocked in her car seat just didn't work. I was asking Tamsin to keep quiet so that Isabelle could fall asleep, but no matter what I did, she just wouldn't sleep but was just whingeing, fussing and crying. It was taking so long, and I felt I was being so unfair to Tamsin by asking her to keep quiet, that I just left Isabelle to it, hoping she would just fall asleep, while I gave Tamsin some much-needed attention and did the Sound of the Week words and pictures with her. Isabelle's crying just escalated, though, so I tried again and fed her and rocked her again, and eventually she fell asleep. I took her carseat upstairs so that we wouldn't disturb her again, but it was only about 30-40 minutes before she woke up again, still tired. I rocked her carseat and she was just dropping off again, when Tamsin came upstairs. I just managed to shush her in time, and although it disturbed Isabelle a little, she seemed to go to sleep. 2 minutes later she was *screaming*, and the only thing I can think of is she must have been having a bad dream, because there was certainly nothing else to make her scream like that. I knew she was still tired, though, and she almost dropped off again, except that Tamsin kept disturbing us. Poor girl, I'd been asking her to keep quiet just too much, and she couldn't keep doing it, and in the end I just brought Isabelle downstairs again to wake her up fully, even though she was still overtired.
I just don't know how it's 'supposed' to be done. How do you get a baby to nap regularly and properly with an older child or children in the house? We have too many of these times when I'm just always shushing Tamsin and then she interrupts at the crucial moment and Isabelle just won't sleep. Good daytime sleep helps achieve good night-time sleep, and also an over-tired baby won't do so well in many ways, so it's important. I will not just leave her to 'cry it out' - that is not something I could do for many reasons, but how can I take the time to teach her to fall asleep well at naptime and/or bedtime when I've got Tamsin to look after too? It just seems to be an impossible juggling act. At bedtime Tamsin said "I don't love you, because you shout at me..." I don't take the 'not loving' bit to heart, but it does show that it all gets too stressful in this house too often!
After all that fiasco, the rest of the afternoon went better. Tamsin did some more StudyDog (still only at the very beginning though), and, trying to think of something else to do with her when she got bored of that, I signed up for the EducationCity trial, on which she did just a few minutes. I managed to prepare a proper healthy meal again (did some menu planning a few days ago), and then the blessed 5pm came when I put the TV on for an hour of Dora, plus dinner, followed by a bath and bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
((((Joanna)))) don't know if you've read my comment on a previous post but the short answer is you don't 'do it' you just do the best you know how to do.
Tamsin's HE will not be irreparably damaged just because you have to focus on getting Isabelle to sleep. It *is* hard and there *is* certainly compromise on all sides but you are in the middle of the toughest time believe me. It is not actually that reassuring to hear now but all those good moments you have when T is entertaining I and making her giggle, and the breakthrough moments with T when she suddenly *gets* something for the first time - those moments will become more and more frequent while the juggling screaming baby while trying to keep a small child happy and feeling loved moments will lessen. that's not to say a whole new set of challenges won't appear in their place ;-) but please believe that you are doing your best to meet everyones' needs as fully as possible and that is all you can do. And please also remember to put your own needs in there too xx
I'm not sure i know how it's supposed to be done either Joanna, do any of us??? In this house it is just a case of trying everything, until something works, when DS gets overtired - sorry not much help!
Thankfully it is getting less and less now as the moment i notice a yawn or he starts his tired-y whimper i take him out of the room where all the action is and he usually settles fine then. When he was smaller he could sleep anywhere but now he is so nosey he needs that removal from stimuli or he just can't "switch off".
As for fitting DD like Merry i have also resorted to PC/DVD's in times of great need, you just have to learn not to beat youself up about it.
I so agree about the tv/dvd/video idea. I've just given up on trying to soothe Alys when Rosie is needing my attention - Rosie was getting told off, much like it sounds like Tamsin was - and I really had it in my head that it was bad for Rosie to watch so much tv. Then my mum said 'you're worried about the affect you telling her off is having - at least she's not going to get security issues from watching a lot of tv!' and she's right! We've now got a video ready in the machine at all times to switch on when the need arises (which it hasn't yet - now that I've calmed down about it all!) and it's made me feel a lot more able to cope, knowing that it's there if I need to sort Alys out without having Rosie whinging and crying for a cuddle.
Also no answers here, but thought the day actually sounded really productive as a whole.
though when SB grrs at me frm the stairs I do wonder what to do!!
Post a Comment