It was a very interesting day, with almost too much going on, as I hate feeling I'm missing stuff! I think it was useful for Tamsin, although I'm sure it's all quite confused in her mind. However she's been introduced to knights and jousting, archery, the concept of living without electricity, television or computers; houses made of wattle and wood like those that burned in the Great Fire of London (which story we've read several more times recently!) and much else. We also did meet Margaret and her triplet girls so it's nice to put another face to a name.
I don't think I've ever mentioned that I am a complete history ignoramus. I got chucked out of History 'O' Level after the mock exams when it was clear I was going to completely fail, and I've just never got the hang of kings and queens, what on earth were Tudors and Stuarts, and phrases such as 'Norman Conquest' and 'the Restoration' have just been empty words to me. Seeing as I'm going to have to educate Tamsin, though, I have been feeling that I really must fill in the huge gaps in my knowledge, and last week with Bill's help I found some simple children's history books in the Library and have been reading. It's really interesting to feel it all beginning to come together, and to get a general overview of the history of my own country which I've never had. I don't think I'll ever become a big history buff, but at least I should get the basics into place!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm loving learning more about history alongside Big - it's great. And I did do History O level, but it was about Gladstone and Disraeli and very little else, and I couldn't tell you much about them now.
i loved history - but poss cos didn't do it for o level?
mum had stacks of jean plaidy and historical fiction, and that does for me. [much more memorable!]
sorry not to have seen you
I chose geography over history for o level because the geog teacher was male and gorgeous. How sad is that! All the history I know comes from teaching myself, mainly through historical fiction. There is a brilliant english history outline to do with slightly older children based on the Sonlight method of reading fiction alongside textbooks. Its been put together by a home-edding mum who is a historian.
If you want a copy just mail me.
And how much geography do I know after a B grade pass at O Level? Yep, you guessed it, almost none!
that sounds great jenny - would love a copy myself
will get in touch with our new blog home as soon as we get it - I'll put it on the ring anyway if thats ok with jax.
and I'll send you all the password :)
love to all of you
Dawniy xx
Post a Comment